The Government of Canada is seeking applications from diverse and talented Canadians to fill the positions of Chair and up to six directors for the Board of Directors of Accessibility Standards Canada. These positions are part-time Governor in Council (GIC) appointments.
The mandate of Accessibility Standards Canada is to contribute to a Canada without barriers by 2040 by:
- developing and revising accessibility standards;
- providing information, products and services about new and revised standards;
- supporting and conducting research on barriers to accessibility; and
- sharing best practices for removing and preventing accessibility barriers.
The Government of Canada is committed to open, transparent and merit-based selection processes that strive to reflect Canada’s diversity. Preference may be given to applicants from under-represented groups including persons with disabilities, Indigenous people, members of racialized groups and women. Appointments will also take into consideration gender parity, linguistic and regional representation.
Under the Accessible Canada Act, Accessibility Standards Canada is to have a Board of directors consisting of not more than 11 directors, including a Chair and Vice-Chair.
The Board of directors plays a critical role in:
- setting Accessibility Standards Canada’s strategic direction;
- supervising and managing Accessibility Standards Canada’s activities and affairs; and
- advising the Chief Executive Officer on matters relating to Accessibility Standards Canada’s mandate.
The Chair is responsible for presiding over meetings of the Board of directors and providing leadership to fulfill the Board’s mandate.
To apply or get more information about how to prepare your application, please refer to the following links:
GIC – Chairperson, Accessibility Standards Canada
GIC – Board Member, Accessibility Standards Caanada
Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit their applications by June 15, 2023.
Director General, Accessible Canada Directorate
Employment and Social Development Canada